banner-photo

Arts & Crafts

Christopher Whall was a key member of the Arts and Crafts movement of the early 20th century. Within Gloucester Cathedral there are several outstanding pieces of Whall’s work, including a series in the Lady Chapel (considered to be some of the most important he created) and the east window of the Chapter House.

Lady Chapel

The series of windows installed by Christopher Whall in the Lady Chapel between 1899 and 1913 are widely acknowledged to be the finest glass of the period in England.

First in the series on the north side is the Fall of Man from 1899, showing the Garden of Eden.
 

In other panels (on both the north and south sides) are scenes from the life of the Blessed Virgin Mary, including the Annunciation and the Nativity. The rich colours and high quality of painting are typical of his work.

The smaller lights underneath the main scenes of the windows contain images of English saints, northern saints like Aidan and Hilda on the north side, and southern saints in south windows, with a scene from their life below.

Fall of Man

The Chapter House East Window

The east window in the Chapter House  from 1903 shows, in the upper centre, Osric,  the founder of the first Christian church (about 679 AD) on the Cathedral site. Below, William the Conqueror is depicted, commissioning the Domesday Survey in 1085 in the Chapter House. At the top of the window are seven angels, including this one in a tracery light. 

CHapter House window


Stained Glass
Webpage icon Heraldic Glass
Webpage icon Medieval Stained Glass
Webpage icon The Twentieth and Twenty-First Century
Webpage icon Victorian Glass