banner-photo

Diocese of Gloucester

Journeying together

The Diocese of Gloucester is part of the Church of England and covers most of Gloucestershire, as well as parts of neighbouring counties. It is home to about 600,000 people.

The Rt Revd Rachel Treweek, former Archdeacon of Hackney, was announced as the next Bishop of Gloucester in March 2015 and the first female diocesan bishop in the Church of England. The Bishop of Tewkesbury, the Rt Revd Martyn Snow was welcomed to the Diocese in 2013.

In the diocese our communities are served by some 327 parishes, 390 churches, 115 primary schools, a secondary academy and five affiliated secondary schools. About 140 stipendiary clergy offer spiritual and pastoral care, together with retired and non-stipendiary clergy, Readers, local ministry teams and other lay ministers.

It ranges from small rural communities to the urban centres of Gloucester, Cheltenham and Stroud, and also includes market towns such as Cirencester and Stow-on-the-Wold. The main geographic areas are the Cotswolds running north to south through the diocese, the Forest of Dean in the west and between them the Vale of Severn. Each of these areas has its own distinctive character.

At the centre of the diocese, in the county town of Gloucester, stands the Cathedral Church of St Peter and the Holy and Indivisible Trinity. Originally founded as the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter in 679 the Abbey church became Gloucester Cathedral in 1541.

For more information about the diocese click here.

Church House
College Green
Gloucester
GL1 2LY


Tel: 01452 410022
Email: church.house@glosdioc.org.uk